Fortunately, this bathroom project isn’t caused by the presence of birds, though they like to remind us they are VERY close by, threatening to come back in at a time least convenient for us, I’m sure. No, since we’ve been in our house (almost three years now), we have wanted to “redo” our master bathroom. Not a remodel, really, but rather a cleaning up. The previous paint job was kind of rough (I’m being nice), and we wanted the color to match our bedroom. Also, like our bedroom, we decided to put up crown molding in the same manner, really making this more of a project and not just a painting job.
With the help of our great friend Norm we put up the crown in the bedroom a few months back. Remembering the tricks I learned from Norm back then, my friend Dieter and I did the same for this project. We have 10′ ceilings and we found it difficult to hang anything on our wall since things just looked dwarfed on our huge walls (no offense to dwarfs). We decided to hang the crown molding about 2 feet down from the ceiling instead of the “usual” location where the ceiling and wall meet. This gave the illusion of bringing the ceiling down a bit.
All in all, the project went great. For nerds looking for more detail on the project: We had one outside corner to assemble, and five inside corners, all 90 degrees (roughly) :-). One of the hardest parts was figuring out how to cut the boards so the corners would match up. There’s a ton of info our there on the web, but it seems like most pages offer not quite enough info, or just slightly too much so you can become confused.
Turns out for 90 degree inside and outside corners, we never had to adjust our miter saw on more than one axis. We either had to tilt it or turn it, but never both. We just had to be sure to turn the crown upside down when cutting. Using a trick from Norm, on the inside corners I ran one board straight into the wall (flush) and coped the other one, using a Dremel to back cut the wood instead of a coping saw. It seemed to allow me to be pretty precise and was relatively fast as long as I had the patience to cut awhile, then test, then cut some more.
My one outside corner didn’t line up quite as well as I would have hoped, but I was able to get it close and then fill in the rest with wood filler. You can hardly tell now.
Here are a couple pictures of the final product:
The only thing left to do are a couple minor paint touch-ups. The vent fan in the ceiling is also new (upgraded from a smaller one).